We hope you are all enjoying friends and family right now! We want to wish you a safe holiday, especially when you are out on the icy roads, so here are some tips for driving during Utah’s snowy season:
- Make sure your car is prepared for snowy conditions: check ignition, breaks, hoses, fan belts, all filters etc.
- Make sure you are rotating your tires when needed, also check tires for air, sidewall wear and tread depth.
- Be sure to have an ice scraper in your vehicle.
- Check antifreeze levels and freeze line
- If possible wait until the roads have been plowed to go out.
- When on icy roads be sure to leave yourself plenty of room between cars and decrease speed to give yourself plenty of time to stop.
- Pump the breaks gently when stopping.
- Keeps your lights and windshield clean.
- Don’t use cruise control.
- Be careful on bridges, overpasses and infrequently traveled roads (they tend to freeze first)
- Do not pass snow plows and sanding trucks.
- Lastly, don’t assume your vehicle can handle all conditions. Even fourwheel and front wheel drive encounter problems.