After a car accident many people go into a state of panic and shock. Are you hurt? Is your car totaled? Whose fault was it? What do you do? This adrenaline and unsettling state of mind can make it difficult to follow correct post accident procedures.
Consider printing out this list and storing it in your car so that if you’re ever in an accident you can always be prepared. That way you’ll have a handy reference for what to do.
Post Accident Checklist:
- The first order of business is to stop your vehicle and move it to a safe nearby location.
- Check to see if anyone is injured and no matter what call the police for assistance.
- Stay put! Leaving the scene of an accident can put you behind bars.
- Try not to panic and never ever admit fault.
- Exchange information with everyone involved including name, address, license plate number, make and model, phone numbers and insurance information.
- Gather contact information from all witnesses involved.
- Document the accident, including time, location, date, damage done, people involved.
- Get the police report number from the police officer.
- Take photos (if you have a camera) of the damage done to your vehicle and the accident scene.
It’s a good idea to keep the trunk of your car stored with necessities such as a blanket, first-aid kit, flashlight, jumper cables, and disposable camera. The more prepared you are the more comfort and control you will have over the situation.
For over 2 decades Shine has been the leading Utah auto body shop alleviating the headaches associated with accidents by providing quality repair service at reasonable prices. We’ll tow your auto to our facility and hook you up with transportation so you can have a little peace of mind. Meanwhile, we’ll be restoring beauty and safety to your vehicle. Call us today!